KEY ENGINEERING FEATURES:
- Custom rotary table, conveyors and loading stations
- Main electrical enclosure, junction boxes and HMI enclosure
- Fully integrated, custom-configured automated control system with intuitive operator interface
- Custom air control system and machine vision inspection system
- Integrated press station, piece inspection station and rejection station for defects
- A modular design delivered the custom machine with a faster project completion time
- The assembly machine is transportable, safe and seamless to integrate and install
- At full speed, the machine runs at 20 parts per minute
- Complete documentation included with the custom machine
THE CLIENT: TOP BIOTECHNOLOGY COMPANY
Because we respectfully hold our clients’ desired confidentiality to the highest regard, the company involved with EPIC Systems on this custom assembly machine project will remain anonymous in this case study. The client is a top biotechnology company that uses human genetic information to discover, develop, manufacture, and commercialize medicines that are used to treat patients with serious or life-threatening medical conditions.
The Company’s vision is to utilize the science of biotechnology to become a leader in revolutionizing the treatment of patients with cancer, immunological diseases, and angiogenic disorders.
THE OPPORTUNITY: DESIGN, BUILD AND AUTOMATE A CUSTOM MEDICAL DEVICE ASSEMBLY MACHINE
The company looked to EPIC Systems, Inc. to design, fabricate, and automate a turnkey assembly machine that would assemble medical devices without human interaction.
The custom machine design was guided by EPIC’s team of project engineers from rough concepts all the way through complete modular fabrication. In addition, EPIC transported the new assembly machine from our in-house fabrication shop to the client’s production facility where it was fully installed, automated, and integrated with other existing manufacturing machinery.
THE CUSTOM SOLUTION: SECOND GENERATION DISPOSABLE DEVICE ASSEMBLY MACHINE
EPIC Systems, Inc., worked with the client to create the second generation machine as an automated application that assembles the holder, cartridge, and drive assembly for the disposable medical device. All of the parts involved in the assembly process move through a feed conveyor to a pick-and-place location where they are picked up and loaded into a table nest.
From the table nest, the pieces are automatically assembled into the final product. The assembly machine has the integrated capability to inspect parts for proper color and orientation. Once the device is put together, the machine checks the part a second time to make sure all pieces are assembled correctly before unloading it onto the discharge conveyor.