After a negative experience with an OEM, the client looked to EPIC Systems to upgrade and integrate a pail filling machine and palletizer on a packaging line
Client: A Fortune 600 Company
KEY ENGINEERING FEATURES:
- Custom specified and modified palletizer
- Semi-automatic, integrated control system
- Custom infeed line, capper, crimper and lift assist
- Complete and correct filler reprogramming
- Accurate mass micro-flow meters
- Came into the project halfway through it’s completion after another company failed to deliver results
- Malfunctioning filler with programming issues
- Tight budget and a project time-line that was already behind several weeks due to delays and ultimate abandonment by the OEM
- Material that needed to be packaged according to mass
AN EPIC FILLING LINE SOLUTION
Front- End Engineering
EPIC first completed its front-end engineering approach to assure the most efficient process and accurate cost quotation. After reviewing the state of the current packaging/filling line with the client EPIC’s engineers completed a line evaluation and created an implementation plan that included the following elements:
- Reprogramming of the original equipment in the pail filling line
- Specifications for mass micro-flow meters for increased efficiency
- An infeed line which included a capper, crimper and a lift assist at the end of the line
- Control system integration to create a semi-automatic line
EPIC’s Proven Solution
EPIC managed every aspect of the project including: assessment, packaging line re-design, mechanical and structural design, applied engineering and fabrication, controls engineering, installation, plant integration, FAT testing, and start-up and support. EPIC Systems reprogrammed the filler and also modified it with custom parts.
EPIC also fitted the pail filler with the specified mass micro-flow meters. This type of flow meter is not susceptible to changes in density or temperature of the fluid and performs more accurately than a volumetric meter for this application.
EPIC also set up an infeed line; capper, crimper and a lift assist at the end of the line. All of the equipment control systems were integrated together into the semi-automatic packaging line to meet the exact specifications set forth by the client.
- Client has doubled their production level
- Client has reduced the filling line from four operators, working two shifts, six days a week to two operators, working one shift, 6 days per month
- EPIC helped the client to save significant amounts of money by working with the equipment already present
WHY EPIC PACKAGING LINES?
Packaging line integration firms see a project through the design, automation and start-up process. EPIC believes that we can help you “Do It Better” through:
- Utilitzing Front-End Engineering to ensure that the proper steps are taken during project scope development
- By assisting clients in identifying their needs, pinpoint objectives and provide the most appropriate manufacturing equipment for the application
- Keeping an open door client policy to promote innovation. We invite clients to visit EPIC to experiment with new processes, technologies and techniques that push the limits of traditional engineering.
- Accountability to responsibly manage our clients’ projects from start-to-finish and beyond.
- A transfer of knowledge (not just a basic training) for the systems and equipment we provide
- Single point of direct contact during the entirety of the project
- State-of-the-art shop which decreases down-time and increases the speed of project completion