EPIC Systems, Inc. designed, assembled and automated a new bulk powder filling line for a leading chemical company consolidating packaging and inline labeling for a variety of products into an assortment of bags and boxes.
Client: Leading Fortune 100 Company
Industry: Bio and Chemical Industry
KEY ENGINEERING FEATURES:
- Design and integrate a line that can package multiple products into various containers
- Label multiple products inline and change label numbering per user preference
- Create a flexible packaging line for multiple powder products filled by weight
AN EPIC SOLUTION:
EPIC managed every aspect of the project including: assessment, packaging line re-design, mechanical and structural design, applied engineering and fabrication, controls engineering, installation, plant integration, FAT testing, and start-up and support.
EPIC completed its front-end engineering approach to assure the most efficient process and accurate cost quotation. After reviewing the state of the current packaging line with the client, EPIC’s engineers completed an analysis of the line and created an implementation plan that included the following elements:
- Most efficient use of equipment pre-purchased by the client for the line
- Incremental labeling system integrated with the PLC
- Fully integrated powder filling line that could handle several different products and packaging types
- Robotic palletizer programmed to adapt to different packaging exiting the line
EPIC’s Proven Solution
EPIC installed and automated a bagger, labeler, box erector and powder filler. The was equipped to interchangeably fill 50 lb bags and boxes with powder products. EPIC also integrated an incremental labeler with the PLC. This allows the plant to easily change the numbering on its labels as it quick changes products running on the line.
A box erector is also synchronized with the line. A taper closes the boxes after they are filled by weight. At the end of the line a robotic palletizer, which can be programmed to stack in different patterns for different products, stacks the filled bags and boxes. A stretch wrapper prepares the pallets for shipment.
- EPIC consolidated several packaging applications into a single packaging line
- EPIC’s incremental inline labeling solution allowed multiple products to be efficiently labeled on a single packaging line while allowing the company to use a variety of tracking numbers for each product
- EPIC maintained the integrity of the relationship between the client and their equipment supplier and saved the client money by working with the pre-purchased equipment
THE EPIC DIFFERENCE
EPIC provided expert insight into designing an efficient and versatile line with the utilization of an incremental labeling system. Because of EPIC’s experience in the field, EPIC was able to recommend the correct packaging equipment, and prevent problems before they arose.
The EPIC Difference includes several key features that assure a projects success:
- Front-End Engineering to ensure that the proper steps are taken during project scope development
- Plant engineering experience that assists clients to identify needs, pinpoint objectives and provide the most appropriate manufacturing equipment for the application
- Open door client policy to promote innovation. We invite clients to visit EPIC to experiment with new processes, technologies and techniques that push the limits of traditional engineering.
- Accountability to responsibly manage our clients’ projects from start-to-finish and beyond.
- A transfer of knowledge (not just a basic training) for the systems and equipment we provide
- Single point of direct contact during the entirety of the project
- State-of-the-art shop which decreases down-time and increases the speed of project completion