A consumer products company needed an automated way to fill pouches and later tubs with powder-filled tablets.
CLIENT: A Fortune 500 company
INDUSTRY: Consumer Products
KEY ENGINEERING FEATURES:
- High speed packaging line
- Integrated control system
- Custom programmed multi-head combination scale
- Complete and correct individual machine programming and line integration
- Original pouch packaging line installation with subsequent upgrade to tub packaging
- Brand new line
- Bag forming and sealing must happen onsite
- Precise number of tablets required per container
- Upgrade required changing to a new type of container (from bags to tubs)
AN EPIC SOLUTION
EPIC completed its front-end engineering approach to assure the most efficient process and accurate cost quotation. After reviewing the goals for the packaging line with the client EPIC’s engineers completed a line evaluation and created an implementation plan that included the following elements:
- Complete line design, assembly and startup
- Custom programmed multi-head combination scale for accurate product counts
- Integrated pouch form, fill and seal
- Automated line to reduce labor
EPIC’s Proven Solution
Tablets travel down a conveyor from the production line to the packaging line. Tablets enter a multi-head combination scale, falling randomly into a circular array of hoppers. Tablets filter down through two more sets of hoppers as the scale automatically determines the best combination of hoppers to achieve a total release of 50 tablets into each package.
As tablets are weighed and counted in the scale, plastic web is converted into pouches. The bags are sealed at one end and cut, and then receive the 50 tablets as they pass underneath the scale. Pouches are then top-sealed and drop onto a conveyor to complete the powder tablet packaging.
Pouches are conveyed over a check weigher and continue on to be placed into boxes and shipped out.
After the initial line installation, the company decided to switch from pouches to plastic tubs. The tub filling function was integrated into the existing line. In-mold labeled tubs pass under the filler to receive a set amount of tablets. A new machine places lids on the tubs, which continue down the line to be hand-stacked onto pallets.
- Installed a brand new fully integrated packaging line
- Decreased labor costs by automating the powder tablet packaging process
- Reduced potential costs during upgrade by utilizing as much of the previously installed equipment as possible.
THE EPIC DIFFERENCE
EPIC provided expert insight during the design, automation and start-up process. Due to EPIC’s experience in the field, EPIC was able to prevent problems before they arose.
The EPIC Difference includes several key features that assure a projects success:
- Front-End Engineering to ensure that the proper steps are taken during project scope development
- Plant engineering experience that assists clients to identify needs, pinpoint objectives and provide the most appropriate manufacturing equipment for the application
- Open door client policy to promote innovation. We invite clients to visit EPIC to experiment with new processes, technologies and techniques that push the limits of traditional engineering.
- Accountability to responsibly manage our clients’ projects from start-to-finish and beyond.
- A transfer of knowledge (not just a basic training) for the systems and equipment we provide
- Single point of direct contact during the entirety of the project
- State-of-the-art shop which decreases down-time and increases the speed of project completion